GiGi's Caramel Apple Poke Cake
Author: Good Steward Sisters
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 vanilla or white cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 can (21 oz). can apple pie filling
- 1 can (12 oz.) caramel sauce (w/ice cream supplies)
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 box vanilla pudding mix (NOT sugar-free)
- 1 8 oz. container of whipped topping
- 1 bag of toffee bits (found in baking aisle near the chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan (or larger) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix and cinnamon. Mix in the water, vanilla, and egg whites until fully combined. With the apples still in their can, stick a knife in the can and cup up the apples making them smaller chunks. Then add the whole can to the cake mix.
- Pour the batter in to the greased pan and bake for 30 minutes. If baking in a larger pan, check on it frequently.
- Let the cake stand for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then poke holes with the bottom of a wooden spoon throughout the cake, about an inch to two inches apart.
- Pour caramel sauce in the holes in the cake, filling up the holes. Refrigerate overnight. Before serving, top with whipped topping icing and toffee bits.
- Icing: Beat the milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla pudding mix on low for one minute. Fold in the whipped topping. Spread the frosting on the cake and sprinkle the toffee bits on top right before serving.